High blood pressure is the #1 risk factor for death and disability worldwide. A whole food, plant-based diet in general has been shown to highly effective in preventing and reversing it, and five foods in particular do a great job at it:
(1) Flax seeds are possibly the most powerful ally in lowering blood pressure. Sprinkle them on cereal and smoothies or use them instead of eggs to bind cake batters together!
(2) Spice up your meals to pack them with flavor and lower your salt intake.
(3) Studies have shown that whole grains may be as effective as drugs in alleviating hypertension. Amaranth Granola, anyone?
(4) Dark leafy vegetables are rich in nitrates, which can be converted by the body into nitric oxide - a chemical compound that dilates blood vessels and reduces hypertension. We love to use collard greens as wraps, for example. Check out our beautiful chickpea salad wraps!
(5) Similarly to greens, beets are rich in nitrates. We love to blend them into a chilled Borscht soup, and top that with cashew cream.